East Africa: Contraceptive Commodity Management
Improving Family Planning Commodity Management
Commodity management is the practice of ensuring effective selection, procurement, distribution, storage and use of family planning supplies and equipment. The approach is geared to helping implementers improve access to and availability of a variety of contraceptive options for family planning (FP) at service delivery points.
Why Commodity Management Is Important
- Clients are able to choose, obtain, and use affordable, high-quality contraceptives whenever and wherever they need them.
- This approach builds the capacity of health workers in management and reporting FP commodities, thereby minimizing stock outs
- Improved product availability at the facility level
- Better method-mix
- Inter-facility re-distribution to support increased client numbers at outreach and in-reach events as well as accommodate delays experienced in supply to facilities
How to Implement Commodity Management for Family Planning
At City Level
- Identify health facilities providing family planning (facility in-charges, FP service providers, pharmacists, depot managers).
- Train relevant service providers on commodity management.
- Provide the relevant reporting tools, job aids, and IEC materials.
- Review commodity data and develop a redistribution plan.
Tip: Use government institutions to conduct workshops, meetings and trainings. Promote on-job trainings and use trained officers as facilitators
At the Facility Level
- Ensure the facility meets standard guidelines.
- Orient health care providers on reproductive health commodity management.
- Provide family planning commodity quantification job aids and reporting tools in all service points within facilities.
- Review commodity data and family planning service data on a routine basis. In case of excess stock, plan for re-distribution. Where there are stock-outs, request for re-stocking from city distribution services.
At the Community Level
- Identify and orient Community Health Volunteers on community family planning commodity management.
- Link Community Health Volunteers to facilities for family planning commodity supplies.
- Provide reporting tools and job aids to Community Health Volunteers.
- Review Community Health Volunteer family planning commodity data reports to mitigate stock outs and plan for replenishments.
- All facilities have providers trained on commodity management
- No commodity stock outs/reduced missed opportunities
- Review the service statistics and consumption data. Ensure the daily activity register, which records consumption, tallies with the commodity consumption summary reports (e.g., CDRR).
- Conduct monthly supportive supervision to facilities and medical stores, using supportive supervision forms and checklists to cover any identified commodity management gaps (data quality issues, need for on job training).
- Evaluate performance every three months and share results at the Program Implementation Team meeting (PIT).
- Reduced/no stock outs
- Improved reporting rates
- Timely and correctly filled CDRR reports
- Training/Workshops costs
- Printing of reporting tools
- Commodity redistribution costs
- Trained staff to provide on-job capacity building on family planning quantification, supply planning, and inventory management in the facilities where they work.
- Planned government promotion of public-private partnerships to develop the private-sector market for commodities. This will encourage growth of the family planning market in the private sector and thereby encourage a Total Market Approach, which in turn will reduce reliance on public sector supply pipeline.
- Close collaboration with other stakeholders to strengthen the supply chain, especially commodity management.
Take An Assessment and Get a Certificate
0 of 4 questions completed
You have already completed the assessment before. Hence you can not start it again.
Assessment is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the assessment.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 4 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Commodity management minimizes stock outs of family planning commodities by building the capacity of health workers in management and reporting.CorrectIncorrect
Implementing Commodity Management at the Facility Level includes:CorrectIncorrect
How useful did you find the information and/or tools presented on this page? Please write your response in the box below using one of the following phrases: Very useful, Useful, Somewhat useful, Not useful.
Feel free to comment on why you made that choice.
Grading can be reviewed and adjusted.Grading can be reviewed and adjusted.
This response will be awarded full points automatically, but it can be reviewed and adjusted after submission.
How do you intend to use the information reviewed and/or tools that you accessed?Grading can be reviewed and adjusted.Grading can be reviewed and adjusted.