TCI Global Toolkit: Coaching
The Challenge Initiative (TCI)’s approach to coaching adds an innovation that is unique to TCI: a locally owned and implemented model of coaching with a systematic yet flexible process to bring about long-term, sustainable transformation.
TCI’s coaching approach aims to help cities achieve increased commitment, capacity, decision-making and action by stakeholders in TCI geographies through:
- Large-scale dissemination, adaptation and application of proven family planning and adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health interventions and tools
- Exponential expansion of accessible, high quality and sustainable family planning services that reach underserved urban populations
The following lessons outline the literature supporting coaching as a capacity strengthening methodology, outline TCI’s unique nine-step approach and provide examples of coaching best practices from TCI master coaches and exercises on how to strengthen the skills needed.
Program Area Content
Other Program Areas
The following resources informed the development of these lessons:
- Co-Active’s Coaching Fundamentals course, November 2019
- JHU’s Office of Executive Education, Essentials of Leadership Coaching, September 2020 course
- TCI’s Coaching Technical Brief and Coaching Implementation Guide
- ZFF’s Coaching Workbook