Opportunities for Cities
Take the Lead, with Support from Our Community
Cities have an unprecedented opportunity to take a proven reproductive health program and shape it for their local needs. With support from regional accelerator hubs in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal and India, cities take the lead in designing and implementing a program that fills critical gaps. Early adopters of the Initiative will be pioneers and global leaders in the expansion of urban reproductive health programs and of new models for urban development.
Benefits of participation:
- Provide state-of-the-art family planning and health services to the urban poor to achieve a demographic dividend
- Receive practical guidance on how to strengthen advocacy efforts, improve service delivery, generate demand for family planning services, minimize supply-side barriers and more
- Access toolkits and become part of a global community of practice, sharing innovations and lessons learned
- Increase your ability to leverage program delivery funds and resources for technical support and coaching
To participate in the Initiative, step forward and demonstrate your willingness, readiness and ability to address reproductive health challenges.
Submit a simple expression of interest and receive assistance with a short program proposal.
- Cities that demonstrate the demographic need, political commitment and pledge local resources (funding or in-kind) receive financial support and state-of-the-art technical coaching
- Participating cities also join the Initiative’s global community of practice, where cities, donors, reproductive health champions and urban planners connect and access valuable resources
Our Demand-Driven Model
Submit an Expression of Interest
A city should contact the Initiative to signify its intent to join. An accelerator hub will work with the city to document and validate the city’s interest. The city will be asked to provide the following in the expression of interest form:
- Evidence of political commitment
- A description of health system capacity
- An account of demographic need
- A pledge of local resources (funding or in-kind) to contribute to
an Initiative project
Design a Program
A city that qualifies from Stage 1 one will gain access to TCI University and its outstanding package of practical learning tools on proven and high-impact interventions and approaches. The city will receive technical support from the accelerator hub to identify gaps and design a program that fills the most critical ones. The city will be asked to outline funding needs in its program design and confirm the local resources they can contribute towards the proposed program.
Implement a Program
Selected cities from Stage 2 will receive financial assistance from the Initiative’s Challenge Fund. This subsidy will go hand-in-hand with technical coaching and mentoring from the accelerator hub. The city will also join the Initiative’s global community of practice, where participants learn from each other and share proven best practices in delivering quality family planning and health services to their citizens. In select cities, the Initiative will set up a monitoring tool to track progress and provide immediate feedback on what is working well and what needs adjustment.